Summer Film Challenge #3 and Challenge #2 Winner
This week’s Summer Film Challenge asks you to capture and reveal a process that would normally appear slow and subtle to the human eye. Like all of our challenges, Fast Forward is tailored to kids in grades K-5 but can be enjoyed by filmmaking students of all ages.
What You’ll Need
1. iPhone or iPad with the iMotion HD App (free to download), or an iPhone with the Time-Lapse feature in Photo Settings; tripod and iPhone or iPad mount for your tripod. OR, a way to prop up and steady your device – heavy books, for example.
2. iMovie app (free to download), for adding music to your video.
In this challenge, you’ll create a time lapse video that is under 3 minutes long. All videos must be set to music – this can be something that is already programmed into the iMovie app, a popular song, or an original composition. You’ll get extra points for selecting music that really fits with the subject of the video. Follow the links under Inspiration for fun video examples.
To Get Started
1. Pick your subject; when filming, be sure to turn off any notifications to ensure that your video will not be interrupted.
2. For those using an iPhone with the Time-Lapse feature, click here for a very simple tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjgokYUS9Zs
3. For more advanced filmmakers, check out this tutorial that includes tips on settings, for more sophisticated shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XzR6t7xhE
4. For those using the iMotion HD App, click here for a short tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNU6JYW0tI0
5. For a tutorial on how to add music in iMovie, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwO0TWmFgJ8
To Submit Your Video
Save your finished video and send to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00pm on Monday, August 10th. The winning video(s) will be shared via email and TPH social media on Wednesday, August 12th. All videos submitted by the deadline will be included in our Student Showcase in September. Please include Film Challenge #3 in the subject line, and include in the body of the email your first name and grade.
One World Trade Center Build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbA89YbWoL8
Birthday Candles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ZOGjaqg8g
Garden (This is just incredible – a “stretch” goal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Uw2DJ9Md8
Enjoy, and don’t forget to submit your finished video by 5:00 pm on Monday, August 10th to email@example.com!
We Have a Winner!
In our second Film Challenge, Your Favorite, Your Way, we asked participants to practice their film editing techniques by shooting their own version of a favorite movie scene.
The winning video is Risky Business by Madeleine Albus. Congratulations to Madeleine and thank you to everyone who participated!